Katie Sagaser is an ABGC-board certified genetic counselor and Assistant Professor of Gynecology & Obstetrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. She completed her Masters degree in Genetic Counseling at the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in Houston, TX.
Katie and her 4 genetic counseling colleagues see patients with a wide variety of prenatal and preconception genetics indications in the Johns Hopkins Prenatal Diagnosis and Treatment Center as well as the Johns Hopkins Center for Fetal Therapy.
Katie is a clinical supervisor for genetics trainees from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, and the University of Maryland. She is the 2020 Senior Co-Chair of the NSGC Prenatal Special Interest Group, and the recipient of the 2019 NSGC New Leader Award and the 2020 American College of Medical Genetics & Genomics Carolyn Mills Lovell Genetic Counselor Award.
Katie is a passionate and outspoken advocate for reproductive justice and patient autonomy in reproductive medicine.
Fetal Anomalies; Skeletal Dysplasias; Hypophosphatasia; Expanded Carrier Screening; Religion & Spirituality in Genetic Counseling; Reproductive Rights; Genetic Testing Ethics
Part 2 : Role play with a Genetic counselor coming soon. This is an opportunity to observe the skills a genetic counselor uses in their sessions, what the session could look like from beginning to the end and this also answers what genetic counseling is all about. Katie goes on to also show how :“Genetic counseling tool kit” is used in the session and what all could this kit be comprised of.
Few of her Publications to read: (All on PubMed)
- Sagaser KG, Shahrukh Hashmi S, Carter RD, et al. Spiritual Exploration in the Prenatal Genetic Counseling Session. J Genet Couns. 2016;25(5):923-935. doi:10.1007/s10897-015-9920-y
- Barnes BT, Procaccini D, Crino J, Blakemore K, Sekar P, Sagaser KG, Jelin AC, Gaur L. Maternal Sirolimus Therapy for Fetal Cardiac Rhabdomyomas. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(19):1844-1845. doi:10.1056/NEJMc1800352
- Jelin AC, Sagaser KG, Forster KR, Ibekwe T, Norton ME, Jelin EB. Etiology and management of early pregnancy renal anhydramnios: Is there a place for serial amnioinfusions?. Prenat Diagn. 2020;40(5):528-537. doi:10.1002/pd.5658
- Sagaser KG, Stevens B, Davis J, Northrup H, Ramdaney A. Close but not quite: Two cases of sex chromosome aneuploidies outside the scope of cell free DNA screening [published online ahead of print, 2018 Apr 12]. Prenat Diagn. 2018;10.1002/pd.5264. doi:10.1002/pd.5264
- Jelin AC, Sagaser KG, Wilkins-Haug L. Prenatal Genetic Testing Options. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2019;66(2):281-293. doi:10.1016/j.pcl.2018.12.016